Link to the history of the long & winding road to 107.9
Excellent Radio is Back!
United Way has received a Construction Permit to create a 100 watt, non-profit,
Low Power Radio station in the South County.
The call letters will be KYXZ-LP and will reside at 107.9 FM on the radio dial. (That’s the very top)!
Excellent Radio (1995-98) was among the early pioneers of the movement to create a process by which communities could legally apply for positions on the publicly owned airwaves. The station was created as a model that became an inspiration to many other communities throughout the United States.
In 1998 the Grover Beach City Council issued an official proclamation recognizing Excellent Radio for broadcasting City Council meetings for three years and providing...
• A forum for community members to discuss local issues” [Donate to Excellent Community Radio]
• A diverse cultural selection of musical entertainment”
• Easy and convenient access to local government
• Educating and entertaining members of the community”
Today through a coming together of groups like
The United Way of SLO with friends and advocates for
the local county libraries, the likelihood of successful
community strengthening is huge!
The new Excellent Radio will be dedicated to fostering….
• Cross–Generational respect
• Cultural Literacy
• Recognition of the Libraries as the centerpiece of the
• Mentoring through United Way’s outreach programs of
Health, Education and Income
The creation of this station, which will have a lot to do with
the overall strengthening and educating our community for
years to come. What better gift for our children could we
give today? All donations will go through United Way SLO.
To make a donation, you can write a check or go to
unitedwayslo.org and in the donor designation area type
in "Five Cities Low Power FM Radio Station”.